Brazilian Research Association for Vision and Ophthalmology (BRAVO)
Established in 2004, BRAVO has approximately 200 basic researchers and holds an Annual Meeting each year with approximately 2,000 attendees. Located in São Paulo, BRAVO is also one of nine scientific societies in Brazil that are part of the Federation of Experimental Biology Societies (FESBE). BRAVO became an International Chapter Affiliate on Oct. 21, 2006.
- Bring together Brazilian individuals and legal entities interested in developing and increasing research in the area of vision and ophthalmology.
- Contribute to the progress of visual science, including teaching and research in vision and ophthalmology, and diagnostic techniques and therapeutics.
- Create new courses and research groups in vision and ophthalmology and related sciences.
- Represent Brazilian researchers in ophthalmology and vision with national and international institutions, maintaining interchange, promoting symposia and other scientific events.
- Collaborate in Brazil and abroad with educational institutes, universities, public institutions and private, in technological development programs in the areas of medicine, bioengineering, hospital engineering, basic research and clinical and care techniques.
- Defend, protect and safeguard the collective interests of its members, directly or indirectly, judicially or extrajudicially.
- Membership is open to individuals around the globe who are interested in eye and vision research in Brazil.
- Dues: R$100,00 (regular members), R$50,00 (student members)
Planned 2018 – 2019 activities
- Annual meeting: two days[date/place to be determined — typically held in September]
- Series of basic research talks for clinicians
- Travel grant opportunities for young investigators from BRAVO to attend the ARVO Annual Meeting: April 28 – May 2, 2019, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Discount and support to attend visual and ophthalmology meetings in Brazil