• Retina research found a prominent position in the final planning document for BRAIN 2025, a U.S government-wide focus on understanding the brain. Read more.
• Senate subcommittee approves FY2015 spending bill that increases the NIH budget to $30.5 billion, which restores the NIH budget to the pre-sequester FY2012 level. Read more.
• New bipartisan initiative looks to speed ‘discovery to development to delivery.’ Learn more.
• NEI hosted a webinar on June 5 that discussed award specifics and special program requirements related to the first Audacious Goal RFA. NEI released a new call for submissions in April as part of the Audacious Goal Initiative: Regenerate Neurons and Neural Connections in the Eye and Visual System. Learn more.
• AEVR’s World Glaucoma Week briefing put the spotlight on NEI-funded researchers studying the genetic basis of glaucoma and featured Janey Wiggs, MD, PhD, FARVO and Louis Pasquale, MD, FARVO. Read more.
• Further erosion in NIH, NEI budget possible in 2015. Learn more.
• ARVO has joined with hundreds of organizations to call on Congress to increase federal funding for basic research. Learn more.
• New legislation increases vision research by $30 Million. Learn more.
• Thomas Wheeler-Schilling, CEO of European Vision Institute (EVI EEIG), shared with ARVONews some of the organization’s most recent outreach activities. Read more.