Who We Are
ARVO is the largest and most respected eye and vision research organization in the world. Our members include more than 12,750 researchers from over 80 countries. ARVO encourages and assists research, training, publication and knowledge-sharing in vision and ophthalmology.
"The purposes of ARVO shall be to encourage and assist research, training, publication, and dissemination of knowledge in vision and ophthalmology." Article 1.02 of the Bylaws
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc. (ARVO) was founded in 1928 in Washington, DC by a group of 73 ophthalmologists. ARVO was originally named the Association for Research in Ophthalmology (ARO), but the word "vision" was added in 1970 to better reflect the scientific profile of our members.
The Association's membership today numbers about 12,750 and continues to grow. Some 45% of members reside in over 80 countries outside the U.S. The membership is multidisciplinary and consists of both clinical and basic researchers. About 40% are MDs, 38% are PhDs and 22% are optometrists, osteopaths and veterinarians.
In 2001 the ARVO Board of Trustees established the ARVO Foundation for Eye Research to assure a stable support mechanism for a broad array of educational initiatives designed to enhance the conduct and dissemination of eye research. Complementary to ARVO's mission, ARVO Foundation exists to provide ongoing support for innovative and novel vision research, particularly work with translational impact that fosters collaboration between clinicians and basic scientists.
ARVO is governed by a Board of Trustees, who are elected from candidates put forth by the 13 Scientific Sections:
- Anatomy & Pathology
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Clinical & Epidemiologic Research
- Eye Movements, Strabismus, Amblyopia & Neuro-ophthalmology
- Immunology & Microbiology
- Physiology & Pharmacology
- Retina; Retinal Cell Biology
- Visual Neuroscience
- Visual Psychophysics & Physiological Optics
Benefits of Membership
- Eligible to submit abstract and present research at ARVO Annual Meeting
- Access to online Membership Directory
- Online subscription to Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (IOVS)
- Student and Emeritus members may subscribe at reduced rate
- Online access to the Journal of Vision
- Semi-annual ARVONews (member newsletter)
- Bi-weekly ARVOInsight (e-newsletter)
- Advocacy and representation on funding and regulatory legislation
- Discounts on other scientific journals