How long does it take?
Applicants should be prepared to submit their article within 6 weeks of applying for a publications grant:
- 2 – 4 weeks for review of the grant application
- 4 weeks from grant approval to article submission
Publications grant articles will undergo the same peer review process as all other articles submitted to ARVO journals.
Strengthen your skills
We strongly suggest publications grants applicants take ARVO’s online course, A Guide to Scientific Publishing, available free to ARVO members.
ARVO Publications Grant
ARVO’s Publications Grant is available to authors who need funding assistance to publish in one of our three journals: Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (IOVS); Journal of Vision (JOV); and Translational Vision Science & Technology (TVST). This grant is supported by the ARVO Foundation and aligns with ARVO’s goal to capture the full spectrum of vision science in our family of journals.
The grant will provide no cost publication to several individuals per year. The ARVO Foundation is soliciting funds to support this program. Learn more.
Corresponding authors must apply for a Publications Grant prior to submitting an article to an ARVO journal. To apply, the corresponding author must submit:
- A support letter from an administrator at the author’s institution, describing the need for the grant and lack of funds. ARVO will not consider applications without a support letter. We recommend that the letter be on institution letterhead stationery. Acceptable letter formats include a PDF attachment to the application form or a hard-copy letter mailed to:
Attn: Journals Department
1801 Rockville Pike, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852
Eligibility, criteria and general guidelines
- Corresponding authors must wait for notification of the outcome of their Publications Grant application before submitting an article to an ARVO journal. Articles already accepted for publication and in production are not eligible.
- Publications Grants are available for one of the three ARVO journals: IOVS, JOV and TVST. Publications Grants are not available for articles in special issues produced by ARVO and/or non-ARVO publications.
- Only original research articles are eligible. Letters to the editor, author responses, editorials, research highlights, conference proceedings and similar submissions are not eligible for grants.
- ARVO considers all applications for publications grants, regardless of the author’s country of residence. There are no geographic restrictions or priorities.
- Membership in ARVO is not required.
- Corresponding authors may submit no more than one grant application per year.
- ARVO retains the right to consider criteria/issues not addressed here on a case-by-case basis.
- The author has one month to submit the paper to an ARVO journal from the time of official grant notification. The final award will be transferred to the journal if your paper is accepted for publication. If your paper is not accepted, the grant will not be awarded.
- ARVO staff will check application materials are complete.
- ARVO staff will forward complete applications to the Publications Grant Committee.
- The committee will review applications as they come in.
- Applicants can expect a response in four to six weeks.
For further information regarding the ARVO Publications Grant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +18.104.22.16821. We would be happy to assist you in the application process or with any questions.