Genentech AMD Research Fellowships application and review
Eligibility, criteria and general guidelines
Available to newly established investigators who are age 45 or younger at the application deadline and have received their MD, PhD or equivalent degree after 2006.
- Candidates must hold an MD, PhD, DVM, DO, OD or equivalent degree
- Applicant must serve as the Principal Investigator on the project
- No geographical restrictions
- Applicants are not required to be members of ARVO
- Applicants must currently be working in non-profit or academic research centers
- Previous recipients are not eligible
Scope of Fellowships
- Two fellowships of $40,000 each will be awarded.
- One fellowship will be awarded in each of the following areas:
- basic research in the understanding of AMD, and
- translational AMD research focusing on therapeutics (not yet in clinical trials)
- Grants are for a period of one-year and must commence within six months of award notification.
- Recipients will be expected to submit their findings for possible presentation at an ARVO Annual Meeting and publish results, as appropriate.
- A report must be submitted to the ARVO Foundation within 30 days of the conclusion of the research period.
The following forms and documents are required to complete the application. All documents listed below are to be uploaded into the online application.
Genentech Fellowship application form
- A three-page (typed, single space) Research Plan including the following sections:
- Background and Significance
- Design and Methodology
- Project Narrative
- Specific Aims
- A one-page description of applicant’s vision for future research and its anticipated impact related to AMD.
- A list of three professional references, including name, department, email and phone.
- Applicant’s abbreviated CV or bio sketch (limited to two pages maximum)
- Funds may be used for research, including salary and benefits
- Funds may not be used for purchasing equipment
- No overhead fees can be assessed
Principal Investigator Information
- Last three academic or training positions
- Four publications
- Other support for this project (pending or planned)
- Current support for other research
- Signed by principal investigator, department head and administrative official
Applications will be reviewed by the ARVO Foundation Awards Committee comprised of internationally recognized experts. The deliberations of the Award Committee are confidential, and their decision is final.