This award honors Dr. Roger Vogel, who was in the ophthalmic pharmaceutical business for almost 30 years and led the development of many of the medicines now used by ophthalmologists. The award is given annually to an ARVO member whose research furthers the development of pharmaceutical treatments for ophthalmic diseases.
This $10,000 award, which was first given in 2014, is supported by Point Guard Partners through the ARVO Foundation.
Eligible nominees include ARVO members who have made significant contributions to the discovery or development of pharmaceutical products to treat eye diseases. The award will be based on the overall contributions of the individual to pharmaceutical research.
Other specific eligibility requirements for the nominee and the nominator include:
- The recipient can be any member of ARVO, including practicing physicians and researchers working in academia or industry.
- Members of the Board of Trustees, Board of Governors and Awards Committees are not eligible to nominate, be nominated or submit seconding letters during their terms.
- Nominators and Seconders may support only one nomination per year.
- There are no geographic restrictions (i.e., international or domestic).
- There are no age restrictions.
Nominations are accepted via online application. The online nomination form requires the following information, forms and documents:
- One nomination letter
- Brief summary of the following:
- List nominee's significant contributions to the discovery or development of pharmaceutical products to treat eye diseases
- Outline nominee's overall contributions to pharmaceutical research
- Describe how nominee's research has furthered the development of pharmaceutical treatments for ophthalmic diseases
- Seconding letter that addresses the same topics as above
• Nominee's biosketch
Review and selection process
Applications are reviewed by the ARVO Foundation Awards Committee comprised of internationally recognized experts. The deliberations of the Foundation Awards Committee are confidential and their decision is final.
|Applications open||July 1, 2017|
|Applications close||September 1, 2017 (11:59pm U.S. Eastern time)|
|Recipients notified||November 2017|
2018 Dr. Roger Vogel Award for Pharmaceutical Research
Gary Novack, PhD
PharmaLogic Development Inc