Online conference: Establishing and managing "Big science" projects in eye and vision science
Call for proposals opens on Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Completed proposals due no later than Thursday, October 31, 2019
ARVO is accepting proposals from member volunteers to help us develop a new educational format, online conferences. The organizers of the winning proposal will work with the Professional Development and Education Committee (PDEC) and staff to pioneer this new format. Willingness to try new things is required, experience with online learning tools is not. Fellows points will be awarded for this service.
The theme of the conference is, "Establishing and managing 'Big science' projects in eye and vision science." The goal of the conference is to provide fundamental knowledge and practical advice for planning and executing Big Science "aka Team Science" projects. Suggested topics to spur your thinking include:
- Planning large research collaborations
- Managing large research teams
- Working with people from multiple disciplines and cultures
- Sharing information and data (internally and externally to the project)
- Protecting intellectual property
- Assigning credit (authorship)
Conference organizers must be active members of ARVO for the last three consecutive years, preferably with experience leading or participating in a large collaborative research project. A maximum of three organizers may be listed with the proposal. Additional organizers will be considered if the proposal is accepted. Note: Speakers/Panelists may come from outside the ARVO membership if needed.
- Identify topics that meet the goal of the conference
- Identify and help recruit speakers, moderators and/or review responses to a call for speakers
- Determine the event layout (number and length of sessions and number of days)
- Select the best format for each session (Live webinar, online discussion, or pre-recorded presentation, other)
- Participate in the live online sessions, as needed
Estimated time commitment
- Organizers will need to be responsive via email during the length of the project
- Mid-November: Conference call to start the project (1.5 hours)
- Mid-January: Conference call to finalize the agenda (1 hour)
- Late May, early June: Conference call to finalize plans for any live online sessions (1 hour)
- Mid-July: Conference will be held. (2-3 hours, depending on the number of live sessions)
Submission form requirements
- Contact details and commercial relationships disclosure
- Biosketch for each organizer (NIH or equivalent format) or CV
- What aspects of this opportunity excite you?
- Provide a list of the topics that you would cover including the names of any potential speakers next to the topic, if applicable.
- Describe any prior experience the organizers have designing educational sessions or programs.