The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) strives to host welcoming, inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals to engage fully in a sustainability-conscious environment. The following considerations will be in place for the 2024 ARVO Annual Meeting (May 5-9, Seattle, Wash.):
Aides or Personal Care Assistants
- If you require the assistance of an aide or personal care assistant, ARVO will arrange complimentary registration for them. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your aide or personal care assistant.
- Vegetarian selections will be offered at ARVO-hosted events/receptions where food is served.
- Local restaurant lists are available from the Seattle Visitor Center desk at the Convention Center (Arch Building main lobby area - Level 1).
- Food vendors in the Seattle Convention Center offer a variety of food options and may be able to accommodate various dietary requests.
Hearing and Vision Impairment
- ARVO recognizes needs vary and will work to meet your individual needs to the best of our ability. To better serve you, please indicate your needs with your registration and an ARVO staff member will be in contact to discuss your needs and how ARVO is able to assist.
- When you book your hotel room online, please indicate your request for an accessible room by checking the “Handicap Accessible” box. Please note your specific needs in the “Requests” box also so we can ensure the hotel can accommodate your needs. If you have any additional questions regarding an accommodation at your hotel, please contact email@example.com.
- A dedicated quiet meditation/prayer space at the Convention Center for attendees to get a sensory break from the bustle of the Meeting. Please visit Meeting Management where you may request a key — staff will direct you to where the room is located.
- Free motorized scooters for use at the Convention Center to assist attendees with navigating the Meeting. Scooters must be requested in advance of the Annual Meeting. Scooters may be picked up in the morning at Meeting Management (location TBA) and must be returned prior to leaving the building.
- Accessible elevators and escalators at the Convention Center and at all hotels in the ARVO block.
- A relaxing space at the Convention Center reserved for nursing mothers. Please visit Meeting Management where you may request a key — staff will direct you to where the room is located.
- All Convention Center restrooms are accessible and include hands-free faucets. Family and unisex restrooms are available on Level 4.
- Certified guide/service dogs are welcome in the Convention Center.
- The 2024 Annual Meeting is being held at the Seattle Convention Center, which is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified for its sustainable facilities and practices. This includes cup/water bottle-filling stations and recycle/compost stations conveniently located throughout the Center which attendees may make use of to minimize waste.
- The Annual Meeting is put together on-site with the aid of our event agency, Freeman. The company prioritizes using eco-conscious/recyclable practices for items such as carpets, graphics, booths, rental furniture and AV equipment.
If you have any questions, comments or need assistance in an area not discussed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.