Travel Documentation

Information to make your preparation and journey to the Annual Meeting go as smooth as possible

Visa and travel information

  • Direct visa assistance, including making calls and appointments, is not offered by ARVO. The U.S. Department of State has developed a Visa Wizard to guide you in selecting the correct visa application.
  • If you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), you may travel to the United States for a period of 90 days or less with an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). To learn more about the VWP and obtaining an ESTA, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website.


Things to consider

  • Due to Executive Order 13780, nationals from some countries may experience difficulties obtaining a U.S. visa. You may read ARVO’s Board of Trustees’ letter to the White House regarding the issue of the order here.
  • In order to obtain a Visa, you may need to participate in a U.S. Consulate Interview. Determine if you need an interview as soon as possible, as the wait time may be several weeks and may require you to travel to a U.S. Consulate.
  • For immediate and continuous travel through the United States to another country, a Transit Visa may need to be obtained. If you have a connecting flight, ensure you have the proper documentation for the country or countries you are connecting through.
  • Like many countries, the United States requires travelers to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after their return flight date.
  • If helpful, you may print out an invitation letter to present to a customs officer.


More resources

Entry Requirements
Read a list of requirements for entering the United States.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
STEP allows U.S. citizens and nationals to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy.