Press credentials are granted to individuals who are on assignment for, or employees of, a media outlet appropriate to the coverage of eye and vision research news. Members of the press credentialed to cover the ARVO Annual Meeting have access to ARVO's press room and receive complimentary meeting registration.
All requests for press credentials are subject to the approval and discretion of Katrina Norfleet, Director of Communications. Please direct queries to Katrina Norfleet.
Eligibility for press credentials
Who is eligible for press registration?
Applicants may be asked to provide additional information for verification, including mastheads or editorial pages and recent bylined articles.
- Media representatives: Editorial staff/representatives (reporters, writers, editors) of publications including broadcast media, print and electronic newspapers, news services and magazines
- Freelance science writers
- Internet news outlets (bloggers may be considered)
- Science or medical journals with news sections
- Journalism students
Who is not eligible for press registration?
- Representatives of public relations, advertising or marketing firms
- Representatives of corporate public relations, advertising and marketing departments
- Representatives of financial analysis firms
- Scientists and ARVO members
- Publishers and representatives of advertising, sales or marketing departments of publications or broadcast media
- Representatives of special interest groups
Embargo policy: The research presented at the any ARVO sponsored or co-sponsored meeting may be proprietary or may have been submitted for publication. The press must seek approval from the presenter(s) before reporting data found in abstracts, or heard or seen in paper or poster presentations. Press releases or stories on information presented at any ARVO sponsored or co-sponsored meeting may not be released or published until the conclusion of the presentation. Any individual who does not adhere to the Press Policy will be asked to forfeit his or her press credentials at the discretion of the Director of Communications.
Recording/photography: Recording (photographing, audio taping or videotaping) any presentation/session is prohibited, except by an ARVO-authorized agent, by First Authors who wish to photograph their own poster presentation.
Violators risk confiscation of their equipment and/or dismissal from the Annual Meeting as deemed appropriate.
- ARVO does not share its news release distribution list or its list of journalist attendees with outside organizations.
- The ARVO press room at the ARVO Annual Meeting does not accept news releases, press kits or other announcements from industry representatives, public relations firms or communications companies. ARVO is not responsible for any misrepresentations made in these materials (e.g., stating that a study was presented as part of the Annual Meeting when it was not selected as part of the program).
- Any individuals with a press badge who sells, markets or represents a company for the purpose of obtaining advertising or subscriptions from any registrant or exhibitor will immediately forfeit press credentials for this and all subsequent meetings.
- Media events or news briefings other than those organized by or in conjunction with ARVO are not permitted in the Convention Center.
- Press kits are available for members of the working press only; others are advised to visit the ARVO website, www.arvo.org, for information on the Annual Meeting.
- All fee events (paid courses and social activities) must be paid for by the journalist.
- Display of unapproved information or advertising of any kind in the convention facility or grounds, except in exhibit booths, is prohibited. Violation of this policy will result in confiscation and disposal of the material. Individuals who violate this policy will be evicted from the premises.
Approved: ARVO Board of Trustees, July 28, 2009
ARVO® 1801 Rockville Pike, Suite 400, Rockville, Md. 20852, +22.214.171.12400