Are you interested in joining a collaborative team at a growing scientific association? ARVO currently has the following career opportunities available at our office in Rockville, Maryland.
Manager, Science Communications
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), is a global organization with nearly 11,000 members, is currently seeking a Manager, Science Communications. The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with a background in communicating science to various audiences. Additionally, we are looking for someone with a working knowledge of the scientific research process and experience working with scientists. This position will train ARVO’s members about the role of advocacy and public policy in advancing support for science and research. This role will represent ARVO at science outreach and advocacy events to support the interests of eye and vision scientists and will work with international members to identify outreach opportunities.
A critical piece of the Manager’s role is overseeing and expanding ARVO’s global Science Communications Training Fellowship program. This includes training early career scientists on the importance of advocating for eye and vision research.
Qualified candidates will have a background in science with experience developing and implementing programs involving science communications and advocacy training efforts. Experience with science advocacy and public policy, is preferred but is not a requirement. Interest in working with scientists to develop their communications and advocacy skills is necessary to succeed in this role.
This position is part of ARVO’s marketing and communications team and reports to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. The manager is a staff liaison to two committees at ARVO.
- Science Communications Training Fellowship: Manages and grows Science Communications Training Fellowship program, including the development of program activities, which help early career scientists from the U.S. and abroad learn how to communicate the importance of their research to lay audiences.
- Science Communications: Develop and manage programs for ARVO’s members and the organization to communicate about eye and vision science to various audiences, such as Scientific Image Contest.
- ARVO Representative for Science Advocacy and Education: Represents ARVO at local external meetings, events, briefings relevant to vision research funding and policy.
- Advocacy: Work with ARVO’s partners at NAEVR/AEVR to embrace opportunities for ARVO to advocate for eye and vision science among elected officials, policy-makers, and other key stakeholders. This includes supporting advocacy events.
- Writing: Draft and develop communications that translate science for lay audiences. Additionally, help educate ARVO members on how to write about their science for lay audiences.
- Science Communication Resources: Work with staff and members to develop resources that help scientists more effectively communicate their research to lay audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3-4 years’ experience working in science communications is preferred, ideally for a nonprofit or science-based organization
- Strong experience with and understanding of basic science research
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex, technical and scientific ideas in a compelling form and interact with a variety of audiences
- Candidates may also have experience advocating for science or at least an understanding of this work
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Experience with managing competing projects and deadlines
- Excellent project management and organizational skills including proven ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and budgets
- Ability to work independently and also collaborate effectively as part of a team
- Experienced and comfortable working in various technologies and platforms including project management software, social media monitoring tools and others as needed
- Occasional travel required
What we offer
ARVO is committed to supporting our employees by providing competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, and professional development opportunities. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, life and disability insurance, FSA, matching retirement savings, telework *(2 days/week), flexible work schedule options, and more.
*ARVO offers two days per week of telework on a business as usual basis. However, we provide the option of 100% telework to all employees while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a health and safety concern in the D.C. metro area.
For consideration, please submit your resume including a cover letter stating your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARVO values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.