Are you interested in joining a collaborative team at a growing scientific association? ARVO currently has the following career opportunities available at our office in Rockville, Maryland.
Manager, Online Education and Instructional Design
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) is the world’s largest eye and vision research organization. We are seeking a talented online instructional design professional to design, deliver and evaluate new educational products using a variety of online formats.
Working closely with and reporting to the Director, Online Education, you will collaborate with volunteer subject matter experts to develop and maintain online education products such as self-paced modules, live and recorded webinars, facilitated online courses, and online conferences. This position also serves as the primary LMS administrator providing customer service support, managing content catalogs and providing reports.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
Instructional design / program development
- Lead education product development projects applying instructional design and adult learning principles to deliver products that address the educational needs identified by subject experts and other member leaders.
- Participate in the strategic development of new educational products.
- Coordinate the development of ancillary materials, such as job aids, participant assessments, user guides and other supplemental materials.
Online education management
- Manage the infrastructure for ARVO’s online education program including the LMS, Teamwork project planning, content catalogs, reports and other multimedia materials.
- Manage the speaker permission process and work with the audio-visual vendor to capture the content and the LMS vendor to upload the recordings.
- Manage all online education program evaluation activities and develop reports to inform future planning by staff and member committees.
- Implement, monitor, evaluate and update project plans, timelines, and standard operating procedures as needed and/or assigned. Provide operational support such as information gathering, report generation, monitoring trends, data analysis, etc.
- Assist in drafting and monitoring the annual budget for online education and online events/conferences.
- Use ARVO’s Content Management System (CMS) to create and maintain web pages assigned to the education department.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, and a minimum of 3 years’ experience developing online adult education programming.
- Proven ability using eLearning development software and webinar platforms (Articulate 360 and GoTo Webinar preferred).
- Experience managing an LMS.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products (WORD, EXCEL, and PowerPoint).
- Proven ability designing online education content for adult learners.
- Experience working with and managing volunteer subject matter experts.
- Ability to lead multiple projects, including identifying and managing risks, resources, deadlines and financial accountability required.
- Attention to detail, organization and ability to work well in a team environment with members, executives, contractors, consultants, and other staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Ability to travel to support meetings as needed.
Considered a plus:
- Experience with animation software such as Vyond or PowToon and basic video editing skills.
- Experience using a website content management system (CMS).
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS.
ARVO is committed to supporting our employees by providing competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, and professional development opportunities. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, FSA, matching retirement savings, telework and flexible work schedule options, and more.
For consideration, please submit your resume including a cover letter stating your salary requirements to email@example.com.
Learn more about ARVO.
Manager, Communications and Digital Strategy
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), located in Rockville, Maryland, is the world’s largest eye and vision research organization. We are seeking a talented communications professional to manage ARVO member communications and ARVO’s digital properties, including social media and its website.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, you will ensure ARVO’s online presence and website strategies reflect the organization’s mission and industry best practices; provide ongoing maintenance, content development and regular updates to the ARVO website. You will also serve as the technical manager for ARVOConnect, the member networking platform. Additionally, you will oversee ARVO’s member communication, email newsletters as well as ARVONews (an online news publication). You will also manage ARVO’s media relations activities in order to promote eye and vision research to key stakeholders.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Work with the CMCO as well as the Chief Information Officer to develop and implement a consistent, coordinated strategy for ARVO’s websites (ARVO.org, Annual Meeting and ARVO Foundation).
- Recommend upgrades to the design and functionality of ARVO’s website to ensure a high-quality online experience for users across platforms and devices.
- Serve as a staff “expert” on the Episerver content management system, providing training to other staff as needed.
- Re-write or edit content as needed to ensure messages are scientifically accurate as well as effective, maintain ARVO style and are consistent in tone and voice as appropriate for the audience.
- Monitor and compile web analytics.
- Partner with Senior Manager of Marketing to manage the placement of ads on ARVO.org and ARVO Journals sites to ensure that ads run for specified dates and periods.
- Provide analytics for paid ads on ARVO sites.
Member networking platform (ARVOConnect)
- Manage the technical side of ARVOConnect to ensure that it is functioning and accessible to ARVO members.
- Recommend upgrades to design and functionality to ensure a high-quality online user experience and Section 508 compliance.
- Perform back-end administration and maintenance for groups and users of ARVOConnect.
- Develop and manage content strategy for ARVO’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Oversee Coordinator in the development of content for ARVO’s social media platforms that aligns with ARVO’s strategic plan and business goals.
- Track and share user metrics for each social media tool; and Optimize ARVO’s usage of social media by following best practices for social media activities and integrate these into ARVO’s plans.
- Manages and coordinates member e-newsletter, Insight, as well as a variety of ad hoc email communications for members and other audiences.
- Develops and manages long-term schedules for e-communications, considering the overall communications and marketing plans for ARVO.
- Writes, re-writes or edits content for member communication as needed to ensure messages are scientifically accurate, effective and consistent, as well as adheres to consistent style, tone and voice as appropriate for the science member audience.
- Generates as needed (develop, research and write) timely, useful and science audience-appropriate content for blogs.
- Manages ARVO’s online news platform, ARVONews .
- Serves as editor of ARVONews and works with the CMCO and ARVO staff to develop a strategy for new content. Coordinate ARVONews freelance writers/editors as needed.
- Edits contributor content to meet ARVO style and brand guidelines. Proofreads and conducts quality control checks. Manage content planning for ARVO’s blog, set to launch in 2020.
- Leads ARVO’s media relations efforts in partnership with CMCO and develops proactive and reactive strategies to promote eye and vision science through earned media.
- Develops ARVO news releases and ensures accuracy and focus on promoting eye and vision science breakthroughs to key audiences.
- Tracks and measures ARVO media coverage using Meltwater. Provides updates on coverage throughout the year.
- Manages ARVO press strategy for the Annual Meeting. This includes verifying press credentials and registration for the meeting; managing the onsite press room; provide onsite assistance to media that cover the meeting; and works closely with the CMCO in developing and managing onsite press conferences.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or similar field
- 5-7 years’ experience using a website content management system (preferably Episerver), social media platforms, communications and media relations in a professional environment
- Previous online community management experience desired (Higher Logic experience a plus)
- Experience working with the media and generating press coverage
- Outstanding verbal, writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines and solve problems constructively
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Professional, handling graphic and video files; and working with content management systems
- Occasional travel required to provide conference marketing and communications support
ARVO is committed to supporting our employees by providing competitive compensation, outstanding benefits and professional development opportunities. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, FSA, matching retirement savings, telework and flexible work schedule options, and more.