All ARVO Members receive the following benefits:
- Only ARVO members may submit abstracts and present at the ARVO Annual Meeting.
- Membership dues include abstract fees.
- Significantly reduced registration fees for all ARVO meetings, conferences and educational content.
- Most Annual Meeting session recordings are available to members only.
- Get a $350 discount on publishing charges for an article accepted by any ARVO journal.
- Discount subscriptions to other scientific journals.
- Member spotlights, ARVO news and industry articles in ARVONews and twice-a-month ARVO Insight e-newsletter.
Professional development and networking
- Access to broad spectrum of resources on ARVOLearn, offering self-paced courses, career development resources, as well as conference and Annual Meeting session recordings.
- Free access to ARVO's secure online member networking and discussion platform, ARVOConnect, including:
- Exclusive access to online Member Directory to easily locate and communicate directly with colleagues.
- Networking and collaborative opportunities beyond ARVO meetings.
- Shared files relevant to your field or research topic of interest.
- Open discussions, or smaller conversations, sparking collaborations between ARVO members worldwide.
- Discounted recruitment advertising on ARVOJobs.
- Participation on ARVO committees.
Recognition and awards
- Exclusive eligibility for more than 280 travel grants to the ARVO Annual Meeting.
- Fellowships and research grant opportunities through the ARVO Foundation for Eye Research.
- Prestigious awards presented for outstanding contributions in all areas of basic and clinical vision research.
- "Fellow of ARVO" (FARVO) designation for members' dedication, leadership and contributions to ARVO.
Committee volunteer and engagement opportunities
Volunteer members are the heart of ARVO, where staff and volunteers are integrated partners in ARVO's mission to advance research worldwide into understanding the visual system and preventing, treating and curing its disorders. If you take personal satisfaction from making a meaningful contribution, please consider expressing interest in one or more of ARVO's volunteer opportunites.Time commitments for volunteer service vary from a few hours to a few years.
Representation and advocacy efforts
- All members belong to a Scientific Section.
- All members — except Members-in-Training, Retired members and Associate Members elect representatives from their Scientific Section to the ARVO Board of Trustees and the Annual Meeting Program Committee.
- Representation to U.S. policymakers for adequate funding and appropriate regulation through the National Alliance for Eye and Vision Research (NAEVR), the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC) and other coalitions.
- Committees focus on a variety of scientists' needs, including the special interests of trainees, underrepresented groups and global members.
Don't forget to renew your ARVO membership online. ARVO’s Board of Trustees approved a new Professional Code of Conduct. Each new and renewing member will be required to confirm that they have read and agree to follow this statement as a condition of their ARVO membership.