ARVO committee members are responsible for accurately sensing the environment, processing information and providing valuable guidance to the ARVO Board of Trustees.
There are 11 committees for which ARVO members can volunteer*:
- Advocacy and Outreach Committee - Chair: Stephanie Watson, MD, PhD, FARVO
- Animals in Research Committee - Chair: Neena Haider, PhD
- Awards Committee - Chair: Anneke Den Hollander, PhD
- Commercial Relationships Committee - Chair: Margot Goodkin, MD, PhD
- Continuing Medical Education Committee - Chair: Yannis Paulus, MD
- Diversity Initiatives Committee - Chair: Catherine Opere, PhD
- Ethics and Regulations in Human Research Committee - Chair: Lyndell Lim, MBBS, DMedSci.
- Global Members Committee - Chair: Ester Carreño, MD
- Members-in-Training Committee - Chair: Kara Cavuoto, MD
- Professional Development and Education Committee - Chair: Alison Abraham, PhD
- Publications Committee - Chair: John Nickerson, PhD, FARVO
In addition to knowledge, skills and experience, consideration is given to appointing ARVO members who have not previously served on a committee and to broadening geographical and ethnic diversity and gender and Scientific Section parity. The typical term of service is three years of engaged participation. If you are then appointed by your committee members to serve as Chair, your term may be extended for another two years.
How to Apply - application period closed Jan. 12
To be considered, please submit an online application consisting of an application statement, plus detail of past ARVO service and/or experience. It is recommended that individuals:
- Pick one or two committees that speak to their interests
- Invest time in each application
- Make sure their member information is updated and accurate
Please note that ARVO receives a high volume of applications every year for about 35 committee openings. Providing full details in your application as well as having a complete ARVOConnect profile is helpful.
The eligibility requirement for MIT participation on ARVO committees is needing to have completed two years of membership prior to beginning service on an ARVO committee.
Applications period closed Jan. 12. The ARVO President-elect will make appointments in February/March for the term beginning in May 2022 (additional details will be announced at a later date).