ARVO is the largest and most respected eye and vision research organization in the world. Our members include nearly 11,000 researchers from over 75 countries.
ARVO advances research worldwide into understanding the visual system and preventing, treating and curing its disorders.
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc. (ARVO) was founded in 1928 in Washington, DC by a group of 73 ophthalmologists.
The Association's membership today numbers about 11,000 and continues to grow. Some 45% of members reside in over 75 countries outside the U.S. The membership is multidisciplinary and consists of both clinical and basic researchers.
The ARVO Foundation for Eye Research, established in 2001, funds novel research, education and outreach initiatives of ARVO. The mission is to serve as a global catalyst for innovation, workforce development and collaboration in the field of vision research. Funds raised from corporate grants, fundraising events and the generosity of ARVO members help to support the next generation of eye and vision researchers.
ARVO is governed by a Board of Trustees, who are elected from candidates put forth by the 13 Scientific Sections:
- Anatomy and Pathology/Oncology
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Clinical and Epidemiologic Research
- Eye Movements, Strabismus, Amblyopia and Neuro-ophthalmology
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Physiology and Pharmacology
- Retinal Cell Biology
- Visual Neuroscience
- Visual Psychophysics and Physiological Optics
Benefits of membership
- Eligible to submit abstract and present research at ARVO Annual Meeting
- Exclusive eligibility for more than 280 travel grants to the ARVO Annual Meeting
- Access to online Membership Directory
- Participation on ARVO committees
- Online access to Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (IOVS), Journal of Vision (JOV) and Translational Vision Science and Technology (TVST)
- Student and Emeritus members may subscribe at reduced rate
- Semi-annual ARVONews (magazine)
- Bi-weekly ARVO Insight (member e-newsletter)
- Advocacy and representation on funding and regulatory legislation
- Discounts on other scientific journals
- Inclusion in a member-only online networking community