Science Communication Training Fellowship
ARVO is pleased to offer the Science Communication Training Fellowship (#SciCommTF), a competitive one-year program available to ARVO Members-in-Training (MIT) who have been an ARVO member for at least one year who are looking to improve their science communication skills. Since 2017, the Fellowship has empowered early career scientists to communicate their complex vision research in clear and engaging ways to improve understanding and facilitate engagement amongst the public, media, legislators and other key stakeholders.
The program accepts 20 Fellows annually, 10 U.S-based and 10 international.
2021 Program timeline
Applications open: Dec. 15, 2020 - Jan. 22, 2021
Fellowship: March 15, 2021- Feb. 28, 2022
ARVO Annual Meeting: May 2 - 6, 2021
Advocacy Day in Washington, DC: February 2022
The goals of the Fellowship are to:
- Train young researchers to effectively communicate about the value of eye and vision science
- Facilitate an enduring relationship between ARVO and young scientists
Upon completion of the Fellowship, participants should feel confident communicating in order to:
- Increase knowledge and understanding of science through public engagement
- Foster excitement about science
- Encourage action to increase investment in science and research
- Frame science issues concisely based on the audience
During the one-year program, Fellows will participate in:
- Webinars and assignments
- An in-person social hour and panel at ARVO’s Annual Meeting
- The development of their own outreach activities
- ARVO’s Advocacy Day in Washington, DC (optional for international Fellows)
- Networking with fellow participants and program alumni via ARVOConnect
Topics and skillsets covered during the Fellowship may include, but are not limited to:
Applicants must provide:
- Letter of intent
- Resume or CV
- Letter of recommendation
- Letters from funding source stating support for the Fellow for the ARVO Annual Meeting (All applicants)
- Letters from funding source stating support for the Fellow for ARVO Advocacy Day in Washington DC in February (U.S. applicants).
The 2021 application period is now closed. The 2022 application period will open in November 2021.