Annual Meeting Press Policy
Press releases or stories on information presented at the ARVO Annual Meeting may not be released or published until the conclusion of the presentation. The only exception to this is if an author has submitted the abstract to a journal, as allowed in the Abstract Unpublished Work Policy, and it is published prior to the ARVO Annual Meeting.
ARVO holds copyright on all abstracts accepted for presentation at the ARVO Annual Meeting. We encourage the promotion of research presented at our Annual Meeting if it conforms to the following guidelines:
- Companies that find it necessary or choose to distribute abstract-related communications are required to provide the text of press releases or other communications to ARVO for review prior to distribution. Please send draft releases to email@example.com.
- ARVO does not share its news release distribution list or its list of journalist attendees with outside organizations.
- ARVO Annual Meeting online program materials and publications aim to promote vision research and scientific discourse for educational purposes. ARVO accepts no responsibility for any products, presentations, opinions, statements or positions expressed; and inclusion of such material within the Meeting, the publications or posted online does not constitute an endorsement by ARVO.
- ARVO does not undertake responsibility for providing updated information relating to material presented in abstracts.
- ARVO requests that after abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the Annual Meeting, related communications that are required to fulfill Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or other regulations be released only when abstracts are made publicly available through our online platform.
- Information contained in such releases is limited to the content of the abstract. Additional information about the study or research to be presented at the ARVO Annual Meeting cannot be included in the press release.
- The abstract cannot be reprinted in its entirety.
- Direct quotations from abstracts are limited to 50 words or less. Quotations must contain an attribution to ARVO as follows:
© Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology [YEAR].
- Paraphrases of abstract content are acceptable.
- All other press releases are embargoed until the conclusion of presentation at the ARVO Annual Meeting.
Press credentials are granted to individuals who are on assignment for or employees of a media outlet appropriate to cover the eye and vision research news. Members of the press credentialed to cover the ARVO Annual Meeting have access to ARVO's press room and receive complimentary meeting registration.
ARVO expects that after the Annual Meeting press attendees will provide the association with links or hard copies of their coverage of ARVO’s Annual Meeting. Please send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility for press credentials
Who is eligible for press registration?
- Media representatives, including editorial staff/representatives (reporters, writers, editors) of publications including broadcast media, print and electronic newspapers, news services and magazines.
- Freelance science writers
- Internet news outlets (bloggers may be considered)
- Science or medical journals with news sections
- Journalism students
Note: Applicants may be asked to provide additional information for verification, including mastheads or editorial pages and recent bylined articles.
Who is not eligible for press registration?
- Representatives of public relations, advertising, or marketing firms
- Representatives of corporate public relations, advertising, and marketing departments
- Representatives of financial analysis firms
- Scientists and ARVO members
- Publishers and representatives of advertising, sales or marketing departments of publications or broadcast media
- Representatives of special interest groups
- Embargo policy: The research presented at the ARVO Annual Meeting may be proprietary or may have been submitted for publication. The press must seek approval from the presenter(s) before reporting data found in abstracts or heard or seen in paper or poster presentations. Press releases or stories on information presented at the ARVO Annual Meeting may not be released or published until the conclusion of the presentation. Any individual who does not adhere to the Press Policy will be asked to forfeit his or her press credentials at the discretion of the ARVO Marketing and Communications Department.
- Recording/photography: In accordance with our culture of academic integrity, recording by any means including, but not limited to photographing, audiotaping, videotaping, screen capturing and/or screen recording of any presentations or sessions — whether virtual or in-person — at or during any ARVO Meeting (Annual Meeting, Bench to Bedside, etc.) is strictly prohibited. Read more.
- ARVO logo use policy: The logos of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology are ARVO trademarks and may only be used by those who have received explicit prior permission from ARVO for a specific use. This permission is usually granted based on a shared initiative or special arrangement. For questions and requests for approval, please contact email@example.com.
The ARVO logo must be used in its entirety and not be altered in any way (including proportion, color, element, type); and never tilted, skewed, expanded, condensed or placed inside a shape.
The ARVO logo represents and identifies the Association and its activities. It is essential that the logo be used properly to ensure its continued value to the Association and its members. Therefore, ARVO reserves the right to immediately terminate the use of its logo to anyone at any time. Legal action can be taken against anyone who uses the ARVO logo in violation of the policy.
- Distribution lists: ARVO does not share its news release distribution list or its list of journalist attendees with outside organizations.
- Non-ARVO press materials. News releases, press kits or other announcements from industry representatives, public relations firms or communications companies may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for possible placement in the Online Press Room. Acceptance of such materials for placement in the Online Press Room is at the sole discretion of the Marketing and Communications Department. ARVO is not responsible for any misrepresentations made in these materials (e.g., stating that a study was presented as part of the Annual Meeting when it was not selected as part of the program).
- Any individuals with a press badge who sells, markets or represents a company for the purpose of obtaining advertising or subscriptions from any registrant or exhibitor will immediately forfeit press credentials for this and all subsequent meetings.
- Press kits are available for members of the working press only; others are advised to visit the ARVO website, www.arvo.org/annual-meeting for information on the Annual Meeting.
- All fee events (paid courses and social activities) must be paid for by the journalist.
- Display of unapproved information or advertising of any kind in the convention facility or on the grounds, except in exhibit booths, is prohibited. Violation of this policy will result in confiscation and disposal of the material. Individuals who violate this policy will be evicted from the premises.
Approved by the ARVO Board of Trustees July 28, 2009