Animals in Research Committee
The Animals in Research Committee monitors the status of the use of animals in biomedical research and the impact upon ARVO members; provides a resource for eye and vision researchers whose work comes under scrutiny; assists the ARVO Board of Trustees with issues requiring policy decisions; and educates the membership on relevant issues to increase members' awareness of the importance of animal research in understanding eye disease and visual functions.
- Reviews and recommends policies affecting the use of animals in eye and vision research.
- Sponsors Annual Meeting workshops and develops publications.
- Represents the Association on the AAALAC Board.
- Assists eye and vision researchers whose work comes under scrutiny.
- Reports to the Board of Trustees at its regular meetings.
- Toolkit for Biomedical Researchers Using Laboratory Animals (members only)
- Statement for the Use of Animals in Ophthalmic and Vision Research
The Committee meets during the ARVO Annual Meeting and conducts business via ARVOConnect, by email and if needed by conference call during the year.