Diversity Initiatives Committee
The Diversity Initiatives Committee monitors the issues facing ARVO Members of minority groups, women and those with special needs, develops initiatives to address these concerns and recommends ways for ARVO to respond.
- Suggests names of ARVO women and minorities to the Center for Scientific Review (CSR) for possible appointments to Study Sections when asked.
- Increases organizational sensitivity to the concerns and needs of minority/women investigators in ARVO and their leadership roles within ARVO.
- Identifies successful models for the introduction of potential minority/women investigators into the biomedical research arena.
- Serves as a clearinghouse for information on opportunities, programs, and resources specifically aimed at minority/women investigators.
- Identifies possible mentors and role models for fledgling minority/women investigators.
- Identifies corporate sponsors for programs to increase minority/women's participation in biomedical research.
- Reports to the Board of Trustees at its regular meetings.
- Sponsors Annual Meeting workshops on issues of women/minority vision scientists.
- Supports ARVO educational and membership initiatives, including outreach to the schools and expansion of mentoring for junior female and minority scientists.
- Works with the Members-in-Training Committee and the International Members Committee to identify possible mentors and role models for fledgling minority/women investigators.
The committee meets during the ARVO Annual Meeting and conducts business via ARVOConnect, by email and if needed by conference call during the year.