Ethics and Regulations in Human Research Committee
The Ethics and Regulations in Human Research Committee monitors reports, recommendations, regulations, and other documents regarding the use of humans in biomedical research, and changes that impact research conducted by ARVO members. The Committee provides resources for ARVO members, and assists the ARVO Board of Trustees with policy decisions. The Committee also supports the dialogue between ARVO researchers and relevant regulatory agencies, to increase awareness of bioethical considerations in human research, and the effect of potential regulations on the ability to address research questions.
- Reviews and recommends any policies or positions regarding regulations affecting human biomedical research.
- Sponsors Annual Meeting workshops and develops other materials on relevant topics for ARVO members.
- Provides resources for eye and vision researchers who request guidance in this area.
- Reports to the Board of Trustees at its regular meetings.
- To access a current list of research laws, regulations and guidelines from over 100 countries, see the International Compilation of Human Research Standards.
The committee meets during the ARVO Annual Meeting and conducts business via ARVOConnect, by email and if needed by conference call during the year.