Comprised of elected members from ARVO's Scientific Sections, the Board sets the strategic direction for ARVO and has the final responsibility and authority for all actions and policies that are recommended or adopted by standing and special committees, advisory councils and representatives to professional and governmental organizations, agents and employees.
The Board meets once in the fall and twice in the spring at the Annual Meeting. Trustees serve five-year terms.
ARVO voting members (Regular, Sustaining and Life) in good standing receive an email with an electronic proxy to cast your vote. Elections for the Board of Trustees closed May 3, 2020 (PH and RE elected their Trustees while CO, EY and LE nominated candidates to run in 2021).The two nominees with the highest number of votes in the 2020 election become Trustee candidates in the 2021 election, which occurs in the months preceding the 2021 Annual Meeting. The new Trustees will be announced on-site at the 2021 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, Calif.
Ideal candidates for this position are members who have previously served and/or chaired an ARVO committee(s) or have participated in the governance of other organizations.
Voting members (Regular, Sustaining and Life) whose dues are paid by Feb. 19 were eligible to nominate or be nominated. Voting members may only nominate or be nominated within their own Section or Cross-sectional group.
Submission of nominations (closed Feb. 19, 2020)
The following five items are required:
- Nomination statement – 300 words or less – describing why the nominee’s scientific contributions best qualify her/him for the role of Trustee.
- Biographical sketch – 500 words or less – describing the nominee’s education, work experience, training and other relevant attributes that qualify her/him for the position.
- Disclosures – list of the nominee’s commercial and financial interests.
- Headshot photo – JPEG format – suitable for online reproduction.
- Letter of:
- Endorsement – Self-nominations only, 100 words or less – from a voting member in your section endorsing the self-nomination
- Consent – from the nominee confirming interest in running – not required for self-nominations
ARVO Trustee Election Cycle
- In 2021, CO, EY and LE elect their Trustees while BI, CL and VN nominate candidates to run in 2022.
- In 2022, BI, CL and VN elect their Trustees while AP and GL nominate candidates to run in 2023.
- In 2023, AP and GL elect their Trustees while IM, RC and VI nominate candidates to run in 2024.
- In 2024, IM, RC and VI elect their Trustees while PH and RE nominate candidates to run in 2025.
- In 2025, PH and RE elect their Trustees while CO, EY and LE nominate candidates to run in 2026.
Please email any questions to ARVO Senior Manager, Executive & Committee Operations Stephen Willie.