Indian Eye Research Group (ARVO-India)
First established in 1992 as the Indian Eye Research Group, ARVO-India has over 200 members and holds an annual meeting each July. The annual meeting is a platform for exchange of ideas among eye researchers in India and brings together those involved in different areas of basic and clinical eye research. ARVO-India became an international chapter affiliate in April 2011.
To promote and facilitate eye research in all domains and encourage researchers through active collaborations within India. The aim is to:
- Promote interactions between eye and vision researchers across India.
- Facilitate collaborative research activities within ARVO-India.
- Support young investigators education and professional development.
- Engage clinicians and scientists from non-ocular research backgrounds in ARVO-India activities.
- Recognize the work of investigators through an award program.
- Membership is open to individuals around the globe who are interested in eye and vision research in India
- Membership dues: INR 250 (regular membership), INR 10,000 (life membership)
Planned 2021 – 2022 activities
- Virtual Annual Meeting of ARVO-India: July 31 - Aug. 1, 2021
- Travel grant opportunities for young investigators to attend the virtual ARVO Annual Meeting: May 1 - 7, 2021
- ARVO-India President: Ronnie George, DO, DNB, MS
- ARVO-India Vice President: K. Dharmalingam, PhD
- ARVO-India Treasurer : Inderjeet Kaur, PhD
- ARVO-India Secretary: Elena D. Roopchandra
- ARVO-India Officer: Subhabrata Chakrabarti, PhD
Shaika Shanbagh, 2018 ARVO-India travel grant recipient
Shaika Shanbagh has been working as a research fellow at the GROW Research Laboratory at the Narayana Nethralaya Foundation for three years while pursuing a doctoral degree. Her research explores a novel aspect of the underlying molecular signaling in glaucoma pathology. Her work has brought about interesting results and ideas that can benefit from interaction with other scientists at the ARVO Meeting.