Egypt Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO-EGYPT)
ARVO-Egypt was founded as a group of the National Eye Hospital (Al Watany) in Cairo, Egypt. ARVO-Egypt’s goal is to promote collaboration among ophthalmologists in clinical and epidemiological ophthalmological research. ARVO-Egypt is designated as an Egyptian scientific community by the Egyptian Organizations Ministry and therefore able to approach academic institutions and universities in Egypt about collaborating. ARVO-Egypt became an international chapter affiliate on Jan. 14, 2013.
To promote and develop ophthalmic research in Egypt, with focus on training and advocating systemic methodology in vision research.
- Membership is open to individuals around the globe who are interested in eye and vision research in Egypt and the Persian Gulf. There are no membership dues.
- ARVO-Egypt members use an exclusive ARVO-Egypt ARVOConnect community — an online forum for collaboration: Access here.
Planned 2021 – 2022 activities
- ARVO-Egypt/Watany Eye Hospital Ophthalmology Summit: Oct. 12 - 14, 2021
- Travel grant opportunities for young investigators to attend the virtual ARVO Annual Meeting: May 1 - 7, 2021
- ARVO-Egypt President: Abdallah Hassouna, MD
- ARVO-Egypt Vice-President: Fathy Fawzy, MD
- ARVO-Egypt Secretary: Nada Fathy, MD
- ARVO-Egypt Treasurer: Ramy Riad, MD
- ARVO-Egypt Chapter Coordinator/ICAC Representative: Mohamed El Bahrawy, MD
Samar Moharram, 2018 ARVO-Egypt travel grant recipient
"I am honored to be the winner of the 2018 ARVO-Egypt travel grant, and I am looking forward to attending a fruitful and prestigious ARVO Annual Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii." -- Samar Sherif Moharram, MD, is a senior resident at Al Watany Eye Hospital with a special interest in glaucoma and pediatric ophthalmology research.