ARVO-Swiss was established in August 2020 as a sub-group of members of the Swiss Society of Ophthalmology. All major academic centers in Switzerland (i.e. the University Eye Hospitals) participated in the foundation of ARVO-SWISS and serve as its leadership.
ARVO-SWISS seeks to connect the Swiss community with other communities under the umbrella of ARVO as the leading brand of eye and vision research worldwide. It provides a voluntary association of researchers and clinicians dedicated to advancing the field of ophthalmic research in Switzerland that promotes activities and programs for the benefit of its members and the vision research and science profession. As part of its mission, ARVO-SWISS also aims at joint advocacy projects and partnering with patient organizations.
Any researcher, clinician or trainee with an active interest in the field of ophthalmic research in Switzerland is eligible for membership in this organization. Membership shall be attained through written/online application submitted to and approved by the president. ARVO-SWISS membership is free of charge.
Planned 2021 – 2022 activities
- ARVO-SWISS travel grant program to support a young scientist to be able to participate at ARVO 2021.
- President: Hendrik P. N. Scholl, MD, FARVO
- Vice President: Beatrice Früh, MD
- Officer: Gabriele Thumann, MD
- Officer: Thomas Wolfensberger, MD
- Officer: Martin Zinkernagel, MD, PhD
- Officer: Sandrine Zweifel, MD
- Kerstin Schwarzwälder, PhD
Institute of Molecular and Clinical Ophthalmology Basel (IOB)
Mittlere Strasse 91
CH-4031 Basel, Switzerland