ARVO-Spain was established in August 2020, as a sub-group of ophthalmic and vision researchers of the Oftared-SIREV.
Oftared-SIREV was formed from the fusion of two organizations focused in research in visual sciences. Oftared is a thematic network of clinical and pre-clinical sites belonging to the Spanish National Government (National Institute of Health) with the purpose to stimulate the translation of applied research to the national health system and SIREV is a non-governmental organization oriented towards basic and applied research in ophthalmology and visual sciences.
To foster communication between eye researchers and to promote vision science in Spain.
Membership is open to individuals around the globe who are interested in eye and vision research in Spain. There are no membership dues.
Planned 2020 – 2021 activities
- Present basic research talks with ophthalmologists at national ophthalmology meetings about the benefits of research
- President: Jose Carlos Pastor, MD, PhD
- Vice President: Maria Dolores Pinazo, MD, PhD
- Secretary: Manuel Vidal-Sanz, MD, PhD
- Treasurers: Ester Carreno, MD, PhD and Gonzalo Carracedo, OD, PhD